Stepping into the world of Social Work
What I did right
October 4, 2011Posted by on
Now I’m in the thick of my first semester, I know others are gearing up to the application process for next year, so I thought I’d give some thought to what I did “right” in my application process last winter.
On a personal level, I think an important factor is that I chose the right direction. A few years ago I applied to a school psychology program, but was not admitted. After spending more than a month with this curriculum, it’s a much better fit for me than school psych would have been. Perhaps the program that rejected me also saw that.
While I didn’t start the application process until after Christmas, I did put full energy into it at that point. I made the deadlines at all three schools I wanted to apply for.
I worked very hard on my writing samples/statements of purpose/essays and am still proud of the work I did on them.
Applying to 3 schools was a good decision – not too many, and not too few. I knew one of them was a long shot and not the best match for me anyway, one was an excellent match but expensive, another was the least expensive (and really close) but perhaps not perfectly matched to my needs. I was accepted by two and chose the more expensive option but good personal match in the end. I did have a couple of other Cal States available if something had gone wrong in the other application processes.
All in all, I’m still very pleased with my decision and where I have ended up.
More later on what I would do differently…
- Graduate School Options for Psychology Majors (psychology.about.com)
- A Guide to Choosing a School to Study Psychology (socyberty.com)
- US Graduate School Enrollment Dips for the First Time Since 2003 (biojobblog.com)
- Seven Questions to Ask Yourself Before Applying to Grad School (distance-education.org)
- Easy Steps to Guide Your Graduate School Search (socyberty.com)
- Strategy – Graduate Admission Essays (admissionessaystrategy.wordpress.com)
- Do You Read Rankings? (uvmadmissions.wordpress.com)